A lot of people have asked us about the eternally fun and entertaining “Spandy Andy,” who mysteriously appeared on Clifton Hill this past summer, showing off his “Tight and Bright” dance routine.
So, with a few hours to spare, we were able to interview the elusive Andy and got to know him a whole lot better, before his long journey back to Vancouver.
1. When did you first start dancing/peforming?
A: I added dancing to my performance in Vancouver, in the summer of 2008. I always liked performing and being silly in school.
2. What did your family do to encourage you?
A: My brother was pursuing acting as a career and always recorded me on his camera growing up. My parents supported anything we did.
3. Who else in your family dances/peforms?
A: My brother danced growing up and did a lot of musical theatre.
4. Who are your inspirations?
A: Jim Carey, Michael Jackson, My Grandpa.
5. What kind of music do you prefer to dance to?
A: Upbeat dance music, usually from the 90s.
6. What did your first dance costume look like?
A: I started wearing spandex so that people would laugh at me, then
comedic dancing was added.
7. Where would you most like to perform?
A: Performing on the street is my favourite place. I like catching
people off guard during their everyday lives.
8. What have you learned from your recent experiences on Reality Television Shows/contests?
A: How great of a tool it is to promote yourself!!
9. What reality shows are you planing to audition for for in the near future?
A: Canada’s Got Talent.
10. If you weren’t dancing, what would you be doing?
A: Making people laugh and pushing the limits at an IT job.
11. What brought you to Niagara Falls and Marineland this Summer?
A: A trainer from Marineland spotted me on Wipeout Canada and offered me the opportunity.
12. How has this experience affected you?
A: Taught me how to work with animals and large captive audiences.
13. If you could dabble in another genre of dance, what would it be?
A: I can dance to any music, but it seems my style of dance is like a mime or most commonly refered to as Hip Hop.
14. What was the best routine you ever performed?
Marineland is my favourite routine at the moment. I love the concept of the show and being chased by a sea-lion.
15. What hidden talents do you have?
A: I’m a computer NERD!!
15. How often do you dance?
16. What was your most embarrassing dance moment?
A: the whole reason i started prancing around in spandex was to prove to people there was nothing to be embarrassed of.
17. What do you think about when your preforming?
A: During my performance I am living in the moment and relating to the people around me. I try to surprise people during their regular routine and attempt to get them dancing too!
18. Have you ever used you talents for the good of the community?
A: Many people say what I am doing “day in – day out” is a service to the community.
19. If you had the opportunity to change something in the entertainment industry, what would it be?
A: Get rid of the phoney “money bought” entertainment and focus more on real life entertainment, more educational, real reality lol.
Thank you Andy!
We hope to see you again soon!